A few branches of boxwood decorated with glass teardrops bring the perfect finishing touch to the Christmas decorations on my china cabinet. Also a lovely old looking glass ball whose patina I love.
The high counter between my kitchen and living room is a perfect spot for more Christmas decorating. At one end, I put square glass containers filled with candles for keeping the dark days of winter bright. There are pots of white amaryllis and a cluster of small wooden houses and church I made a few years ago based on a feature in a Martha Stewart Living magazine. Inspired by many similar candle still-lifes I have seen on various Scandinavian blogs, I made my own. I started with a 12" diameter glass plate, covered it with moss that I then sprayed lightly with water to liven it up, placed a tall pillar candle, a small pot of ivy and white cup with a paperwhite bulb. Finishing touches are a couple of tiny alder cones and a small ponderosa pinecone. Looks pleasantly woodsy and Christmasy without being over the top.
Now I'm off to make a cup of hot tea with lemon and honey for the sore throat that I am fighting at the moment. Lunch was a steaming bowl of Korean style Ramen. Guaranteed to clear the sinuses! I crave this once the weather cools off. In the past, I found that when I eat it daily, I rarely get a cold or sorethroat! All that hot pepper in the kim-chee and bean paste must do a great job of keeping those bugs in check!
Korean Style Ramen
- 1 package of regular chicken ramen in
- 1 1/4 c water (instead of the 2 the package calls for).
- seasoning/broth packet
- 1 tsp Sesame oil
Stir together. In a large soup bowl, place:
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and chopped into 3/8" chunks and
- 1/2 cup Kim Chee (available in the produce section cooler) that has been chopped into bite size pieces.
- 1/2 tsp. Korean Hot Bean Paste (available from oriental markets). If I don't have the hot bean paste, I don't worry about it, but it does add a nice bit of additional spicy flavor).
- cooked noodles and broth
Mix it all together. Serve hot and enjoy!