September Pincushion for CQJP 2014

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC01
September's garden was the theme for the September Pincushion for the Crazy Quilt Journal Project 2014.  Originally, I was going to focus on the theme Harvest.  But then it occurred to me that I really wanted to do some type of wreath of flowers from my garden and that is how this pincushion was born.  

2014.10.03SeptPCBlock
This year, September was surprisingly green so I pieced a green block as the background for this pincushion.  The center fabric made me think of my green lawn.  In hindsight, I wish I'd used the lighter green and blue fabric as the center, but it still worked out. 

2014.10.7SeptPCWIP01

For inspiration, I went out to the garden and sketched various flowers that I thought I might include.  When it came time to stitch, I plucked a few specimens for reference, especially when it came to color and leaf shape. 

2014.10.07SeptPCWIP02
As I stitched, I used the samples as my reference.

2014.10.07SeptPCWIP03
You'll note that I stitched all the seams, even though I didn't actually embellish them.  They still provide a good foundation for the flowers stitched on top of them.   

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC03
All the flowers stitched are flowers present in my garden.  Here the "Lady of Shallot" English Rose and Sweet Alyssum.

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC04
There is lobelia and marigolds...

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC05
Guara (Whirling Butterflies), and Scabiosa (Pincushion Flower)...

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC06
Blanket Flower, Salvia...

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC07
And Feverfew.

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC08
The real magic happened though when I decided to take portraits of each stitched flower with it's real counterpart. 

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC09


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC11


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC12


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC13


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC14


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC15


2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC16
I'm just thrilled with how they all turned out and that I was able to capture a bit of my garden on this pincushion!  

2014.10.08CQJP2014SeptemberPC02
My usual signature on the back.

2014.10.08CQJP2014Pincushions
And to end this post, a look at all the pincushions I've done for CQJP 2014 except for my daughter's Ring Pincushion, which she has at the moment.  My favorite is still the sunflower pincushion.  My least favorite is the May Lilies of the Valley Pincushion.  I love having them all together like this though.  It's a lovely look at how my stitching has progressed throughout the year! 

I can't wait to get started on October's pincushion!  I have some fun ideas for it that I'm looking forward to trying out!  In the meantime, I've got a couple of round robin blocks to finish up and need to get over this bronchitis that has had me down for the past week or more.  

Comments

Another beautiful pincushion - and such pretty photos alongside the real counterparts.
craftirn said…
Beautiful. I'm so inspired to do one too. So lovely.
Cathy said…
Lovely, lovely pincushion, Lisa. And photographing it with its real-life floral counterparts was genius! I hope you're feeling better! Hugs, C xxx
Lesley UK said…
Good morning Lisa. I think this is by far my favourite pin cushion. The colours are just beautiful. Blessings
Oh my gosh Lisa! This pincushion is just wonderful! I feel like such a novice after looking at this lovely creation of yours. You inspire me to keep learning and practicing though and I thank you.

FlowerLady
Susan Elliott said…
Magic indeed!! The photography is wonderful...portraits of the stitched flower with their inspiration. I first saw these pics on Flickr where there is no text and I knew immediately that's what you were doing. It's just lovely. Congratulations on a year of journaling. You are inspiring me to try a monthly attempt again. Just love it here on your blog. Hope you feel better soon...
Suzanne Kistler said…
Truly beautiful! I adore your blog, it is such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your work with us.
hpk said…
The photographs of the pincushion with the flowers in your garden are absolutely gorgeous! I loved seeing the collage of all of these photos together on Flikr too!
amfuller said…
Stunning! Oh to stitch like you do!
Kim said…
I came across these photos on Flickr, and had to search for your blog. Your needlework is so fine, such artistry! I love these pincushions, and the photos of them nestled amongst the garden are just so sweet.
msmo said…
Stunning, Lisa!!! This is my favorite by far and I, too, love the pics beside your work...just a work of art!! Hope you feel better.

Popular Posts